Agribusiness has traditionally been the backbone of Swaziland’s economy. Since the 1950s when sugar cane was first produced, the commodity remains a top export earner for the country with production rising to over 650,000 tonnes in 2013 from 165,000 tonnes at independence (1968). The sector employs a significant proportion of the labour force. The diverse agricultural activities in the country include sugar production, citrus fruit, cotton, maize, beef, dairy products, vegetables and forest products.
Growth in the sector has averaged over 3% for the years 2012 and 2013. The table below shows production levels for major products.
|Product||Production per annum (tonnes)||Income (SZL' million)|
Source: Central Bank ofSwaziland Annual Report, 2013/14
- 76, 000 metric tonnes of maize is produced per annum, yet local demand for maize stands at 115,000-120,000 metric tonnes per annum
- The demand for dairy milk is 65 million litres (a 3.75% increase), while the local production stands at 9.6 million litres. The resulting shortage of 55 million litres is imported from South Africa.
- The forestry sector continues to be a force in the economy producing in excess of 530,000 tonnes of timber
- Four climatic regions with fertile soils and rainfall averaging 130 mm in summer and 10 mm in winter.
- Availability of major dams for irrigation purposes.
- Access to over 2 billion people through market blocs of SACU, SADC, COMESA, GSP, AGOA and EU
- Illovo Sugar
- Royal Swaziland Sugar
- Swaziland Meat Industries
- Montigny Investments
- Rhodes foods
Support and Regulatory bodies
- Swaziland Sugar Association (SSA)
- Swaziland Citrus Board
- National Agricultural Marketing Board (NAMBoard)
- National Maize Corporation
- Swaziland Dairy Board
- Swaziland Cotton Board
- Komati Basin Water Authority (KOBWA)
- Swaziland Water and Agriculture Development Enterprise (SWADE)
Ministry of Agriculture
P. O. Box 162
National Agricultural Marketing Board (NAMBoard)
National Maize Corporation (NMC)
Plot 542, 11th Street Matsapha
Swaziland Dairy Board
3rd Floor, Enguleni Building
Swaziland Sugar Association
4th Floor, Nkhotfotjeni Building
Swaziland Cotton Board
Umlunguzi WeNdlovu Building
Swaziland Development Finance Corporation
7th Floor, Dlanubeka House